Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Vocabulary Parade

Since I was such a bad blogger during the school year I thought I would go back and showcase some of the fun things we did this year.

January 18 was Thesaurus Day. Jan. 18 was chosen for this illustrious day because it is the birthday of Dr. Peter Mark Roget, inventor of the thesaurus.

In order to get in the mood we read Miss Alaineus by Debra Frasier. Then we brainstormed more interesting words for your every day humdrum words. We send home a list and form on a Friday for them to think about what word they would like to be. They were able to start submitting word for approval on Monday. We did not allow any duplicate words (except with a few partners) within our two teacher teams but didn't attempt to control it over the whole grade level.



Of course the teachers participated as well. We were really impressed with a bunch of the student costumes. We took some pictures in the classroom and then paraded down the main hallway while other grades came out to watch. Then we went to the cafeteria so they could look at each others. To make sure they really took the time to check out each others costumes we created a little scavenger hunt (based on words we knew kids had signed up for). 



It really was a fun activity that we will repeat next year.

Note: If you would like the word versions for editing purposes click here - form & hunt 

Thanks for dropping by.


3 comments:

  1. Super cute idea! I wonder if I could do a history vocabulary parade...:) You've got me thinking. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your kids were very creative in making their costumes. Great job!

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous idea! I love everyone's costumes. I am pinning this for next year. Thanks for sharing.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete