Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fourth Grade Read-Aloud Round-Up

I love to read aloud with my kids so I'm excited to join Mr Hughes for his Read-Aloud Round-Up. I'm also a big fan of audiobooks so sometimes we use those for our read aloud time. I'm going to share a couple of each in this post.



I went through the other posts that were up so far so I tried to share some different ones.

One I always enjoy reading aloud each year is Regarding the Fountain by Kate Klise (illustrated by her sister M Sarah Klise). If you haven't read any book by this duo you are in for a treat!

Regarding the Fountain is filled with fun characters, a silly but engaging plot, fantastic word play, and illustrations in all sorts of forms like memo, newspaper, maps, bulletin boards (you really just have to see them). Because of all the illustrations it is definitely good to have a document camera and/or some extra copies of the books s the kids can see the details. I use both while reading. Since it is the first in a series there are always kids that want to continue on reading the others. More recently the pair created another series called 43 Old Cemetery Road which is also great.


While talking about series. I love to do a read aloud of the first 39 clues book because it often prompts kids to continue reading on through the books. I really like all the information it shares about Ben Franklin and the connection to our social studies. Since it is filled with action and suspense it was a great one to stop in an exciting stop and have the kids beg to keep going.


A cool book for fun characters an interesting setting is Dead End in Norvelt. While being grounded for the summer (for shooting off his dad's gun) the only thing he was allowed to do was help his crazy neighbor type up her obituaries for the original natives of Norvelt. It is also includes all sorts of interest historical references. It is a great read.


Below are a couple great books that were brought to the next level by listening as an audiobooks

Wonder got tons of attention this year so I'm sure everyone is familiar with the book. This was even better because the audiobook was created with multiple voice actors creating all the characters. The kids totally ate it up!


The narrator/actress for The Incorrigible Children of Aston Place totally draws in and makes you feel like you are her close confidant. Not to mention that her accent is a pleasure to listen to.  I have not done this as a read aloud yet but I plan to next year.


Here is the Amazon description of the book.

Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?


Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of the 39 clues series and of course, Wonder but not any of the other books! I will have to check these out. I have a never-ending book wishlist it seems! I just don't know how I will get to read all of these great books in one year! Or how to choose just a few! ;O)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the 39 Clues and I love, love, love WONDER! :) Great book suggestions.
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SO much for linking up! WAHOO! Your suggestions are great ones and I know that many teachers will benefit from your sharing! ROCK ON!
    -Mr. Hughes
    An Educator's Life

    ReplyDelete