Monday, June 3, 2013

Made It Monday

I'm so excited to be off for the summer and have time to indulge in little projects. This one has been hanging over my head for FOREVER. I actually bought most of the supplies last summer and then my husband burst my bubble by telling me that circle are way hard to cut. I had him ask one of his coworkers that makes furniture and that didn't work out. I also put out a plea to the parents at open house and in an email - nothing. I finally had to think about a work-around. Here it is...

I bought cake circle (which happened to be the perfect size) and glued two together with the corrugation perpendicular in case that make it more sturdy. 



Then I traced them on the foam I bought at JoAnn fabric and cut them out.

oops, I guess I ended up with toes and a dog in this one

I cut the fabric into 6 equal pieces (which unfortunately was a little tighter than I would have liked on two sides). I used spray glue to attach the foam on one side and the fabric on the back. I originally was going to staple it but this seemed okay.


Next I I had to sand the plastic lids a bit to roughen them up so I could use some heavy duty glue to hook the cushions to the lids. I decided to use a paint brush so I could spread the glue a little since it is so thick. I went through two of the E 6000 tubes to make 6 stools.


Here is the final project. I have to say I'm so relieved to finally have this one done. Although I may actually add some ribbon but I haven't decided for sure. I just hope they hold up. I guess only time will tell.


I know I got the idea from somewhere but I didn't have any pictures pinned so I searched one out this evening. That's what made me think about ribbon.


I'm looking forward to another summer of crafting projects inspired by...
Thanks Tara.

16 comments:

  1. I like these seats too! Where did you get your blue buckets from?

    ~Diving Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    Krista
    Stellar-Students

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! I've always wanted to try the crate seats but thought that by the end of the year my fifth graders would be too heavy but these look really sturdy! Total side note, I love your blog and am happy to be your newest follower!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cute and do look very sturdy! I am also a new follower of yours :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these seats! They seem more durable than crates. Very cute :)

    Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these!!! I thought about these, but I am afraid my Kinder's feet wouldnt touch the floor! :)

    Kaci
    Mrs. Hoffer's Spot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and crafty!! I'm amazed when people do projects like these because I don't think I'd have the patience! These turned out cute!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather~I absolutely love this idea and my father-in-law has lots of these buckets in his garage. Maybe he'll clean the up for me. ;)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heather! These turned out adorable and look like they will be sturdy!! The blue just pops:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!! Cutest seats ever!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I like these even better than the crates seats. Thanks for the tutorial. They look fantastic!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am happy that I found another 4th grade blogger.

    I love the colors and pattern you used on your seats. They look sturdy enough for my 4th graders. I may have to try making some.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  13. super cute! I got buckets at walmart for $1something, but they didn't come with lids...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made these in the fall (probably September) and they held up pretty well through my insane children. Mine did have wood though (my dad cut it out) and I did bolt the wood to the lids. BUT I've only had to replace 2 lids (due to children taking the seats off and then putting their knees through the tops). SO, they will hold up. :) I LOVE mine because I cannot fit six fourth graders in regular size chairs around my kidney table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this great tutorial! I teach 6th graders and they love to have "choice" seating. I've made the crates, and use them in my reading center, but this would be great as an alternate seat, anywhere in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete