Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mentor Text: Math

Another first, I'm joining Collaboration Cuties for their weekly Mentor Text Linky.

 

Sadly, I don't teach math anymore but I always loved using literature in math. I actually have an entire shelf of my bookcase dedicated to great books for math. One Is A Snail Ten is a Crab by April Pulley Sayre.


Click here for a link to her website were she has some worksheets and lesson ideas. Click here for a link to a some additional resources to go along like animal picture cards.

At first glance (I put a few pages below) it looks very primary. It starts out with different beach animals that have increasing number of legs. After the one to 10 scenario then they put some combinations together for each of the 10s until it finishes with two variations on 100.


 

Here is my basic lesson that brings it beyond primary.


Read the book One is a Crab Ten is a Snail. (This lists many combinations of “feet” using different animals). Note that there are two ways of making 100 feet listed in the book (10 crabs or 100 snails). This is certainly not the only combination. Guide through another combination using the animals. (like example below with crabs, snails, and people). Here is a very simple ActivInspire flipchart if you're interested.




Allow small group to come up with as many other combinations of animals that would make 100 feet in the allotted time. Make at least one combination with only vertebrates, at least one with only invertebrates, and at least one using all the animals from the book. 


Groups select 3-5 of their combinations to record on their group’s paper. These will need to be shown in algebraic equations as well as in fraction (in simplest form), decimal, and percentage form.  Some method of organization should be used to illustrate the information so that it can be share with the class. They can use cartoon pictures instead of letters like modeled on the board (like a rebus story). What are some ways that you can check your work for accuracy? Calculators can be used for any of the figuring if they want. 



class example:
 
8 C + 5 P + 10 S = 100
 
Crabs
+
People
+
Snails
=
total legs
80/100
+
10/100
+
10/100
=
100/100=1
4/5
+
1/10
+
1/10
=
1
.8
+
.1
+
.1
=
1.0
80%
+
10%
+
10%
=
100%

 

student examples:





 I can't believe I still had a couple of old example inside the book.


Thanks so stopping by. I have definitely enjoyed reading everyone's language arts posts from the past few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a great book! I love that they can use algebra with it! Totally extends the learning! I have not ever heard of this book but I am definitely going to get it! This incorporates so many different skills! And I love when there are websites to go along (I always forget to look for those!)!

    Thanks so much for linking up! This is a great post!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this book. I think it would be perfect for the 100th day of school, I am always looking for something a little more challenging for my class. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you shared lots of great ideas for what seemed like a simple book. I agree that it would be a good one to use for the 100th day.

    Thanks
    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete