Saturday, June 8, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturday: Mall Madness

 I work with a rock-star of a young teacher, Courtney. She was with me for her practicum semester a few years back and she was great. We were so excited when she was able to join us as a teacher two years ago. She is filled with great ideas and Mall Day is one that was adapted from her student teaching experience in kindergarten.

We use a mini-economy model for motivation and behavior modification.

In fourth grade, one of our social studies units is personal economics. All the classes participate in our mini-economy. Every student has a "job" in the classroom. The students apply for their jobs and perform those for a marking period. Students get paid once a month for performing their assigned tasks. In addition to normal salary, students also have the opportunity to earn mini-economy dollars for going above and beyond expectations. The class may be given "class earnings" for compliments received by other teachers/adults in the building or above and beyond behavior by the whole class. Students may also lose mini-economy dollars or be "fined". Fines will be determined by the situation.

We have store periodically where the students can spend some of their mini-economy dollars. They can also save up for a big event called Mall Day which happens twice a year. This is where they can do some major shopping/spending.

...is a blast! 


There are 6 activities/locations students can select from during the time period.
  • salon/photo studio - nails, hair paint, feathers, temp. tattoos, photo area with fun props $5 each
  • movie theater - short video with drink, popcorn and small candy $20 admission
  • arcade - Wii stations all around the room with sports and dance games $20 admission
  • craft corner - various crafts for the kids to make and take $5 each
  • science center - activities with fun wow factor $20 admission
  • computer lab- free time on computers (school appropriate of course) $10
Students choose their four different activities ahead of time so it run very smooth during the rotations. I give the kids labels with their schedule so they remember where they should be during each time slot.


just to give you an idea of scheduled activities

theater
arcade
computer lab
fall photo shoot - fourth grade teachers won't be left out
spring photo shoot - Good Day Atlanta's Transportation Reporter joins in the fun

salon
science center
craft corner


even our principal gets a feather put in

looks like a spark to me :-)


oops I forgot to include this so I'm updating :-)

This definitely takes some parent volunteers to help with the fun day as well as send in some of the items. The first year we had a parent coordinate the whole thing but this year Courtney took the stuff from the previous year and adjusted it so we were ready to go.


7 comments:

  1. Oh...my...word...

    I LOVE this! Like, super love I'm going to talk to my team and try this next year LOVE THIS! I can barely stand it!

    Yay!!!! I'm so glad you posted about this!!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try an economy system next year. These were really cute ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run a class store but your Mall Day puts it to shame. Love, love, love this idea. I would need some help for sure but it totally looks worth the effott.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me right now??!!! This is AMAZING! I love this! Mall Day will fit perfectly with my high heel theme! :O) My favorite is the salon! So glad you linked up Heather and I'm so happy to be following a fellow fourth grade teacher!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,I wasn't sure if you knew this, but you're a no reply blogger. Email me so I can help you fix it-just a click of a button.

      Delete
  5. What a great day for the kids! Such joy on their faces (and the teachers' faces)--so glad I came upon your blog today! I am a new follower and look forward to reading future posts...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete