Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tried it Tuesday

This is my first time linking up for Tried it Tuesday even though I have been checking it out for a while.




Something I have tried this week is Goodreads.



I have known about it for quite some time but never took the time to go and do it. I just set up an account and added a bunch of middle grade books that I could think of as well as a few personal reads. I also added one of my teacher friends and browsed through her books to see some more that I had not thought of. I primarily was doing it with the iPad app. I searched some titles by name and others by author (if I knew I had read a few by them). I also used the scan option to add some from my summer reading pile.

I probably need to search around for some more teacher friends to get some other good suggestions but at least I started.


This past year I had my students using Biblionasium which I thought was great.



You create a class and add your students (with lexile levels if you want). At first I created two classes for my morning and afternoon. Once I got into it a bit I decided I would rather have one big group so they could interact with each other and so I didn't have to add everything twice.


Once in they can select their avatar and add their own books. They can rate books and recommend them to classmates. They can enter the books on a reading log and get "awards" for various things like different genres and number of books read. Students can also see each others shelves to get ideas without specific recommendations. I did add myself as a student as well as a teacher so I could set up a student shelf with the books I was reading.


As a teacher I could add required and/or suggested books to a class shelf for students to reference and add. I could also track all sorts of things like logs, awards, book levels, etc. I could also create specific challenges for the class, groups, and/or individuals.

I would highly suggest checking it out.

6 comments:

  1. This is a cool idea. I've used GoodReads myself, but never for my students. I'm a new follower. I love finding other fourth grade blogs to follow!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to GoodReads and BiblioNasium. I am going to check out there sites. BiblioNasium really sounds like a winner. Thank you for sharing.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! I love finding new 4th grade teachers to follow! Thanks for the book recommendation, I hadn't heard about that one. I've used GoodReads for myself for quite some time now and I really like it. Its always the first place I check when I am in need of a book recommendation. I'm loving the BiblioNasium site and think I'll be using that one in the classroom next year! Thanks for the great idea.
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! This looks awesome. I will definitely check into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of BiblioNasium! This looks awesome! I have pinned to check out more this summer:) Thanks so much for linking up, Heather!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely be checking out BiblioNasium! Very cool suggestion. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete