Monday, June 17, 2013

Must Read Mentor Text Science: Graphic Library

I have shelves of science non fiction books. I also have a bunch of poetry books about science topics but I really had to think about what to share. I didn't teach science last year so they aren't as fresh in my mind.
I'm actually listing this book more as a representative for the series. I love graphic novels and so do my kids. Graphic Libraries has comic style books on tons of science topics. In addition to this one I have sound, light, motion, ecosystems, food chains and probably some others that aren't coming to mind right now.
They all follow the same character Max Axiom as he goes to different locations and has conversations with other people that share lots of information. It definitely shows science in real world application.
This is not a page from Scientific Method but it gives you the general idea.
When I first got some of these I purchased them as ebooks. This worked great because I could show the pages up on out ActivBoard. I have different kids read the parts for a character for that chapter. Then we switch so others can have a chance. The problem is the books were expensive in that format. Now they are available through Amazon for just over $7 each. The downside to he actual books is that they aren't as good for group reading because the pictures are pretty small. Of course a document camera would help.

If you teach middle grades (and maybe up a bit) science I would certainly check them out. Graphic Library also publishes a bunch of history and biographies as well.
Be sure to stop by Collaboration Cuties to see some other Must Read Mentor Text science suggestions.
Well, I'm out of town and trying to do this on blogsy. Unfortunately I just can't seem to get my signature on. Oh well...
Heather :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love these books! I forget about them, sometimes! Our library has the eBooks! It's great for projecting!

    I love anything to do with a graphic novel because the kids (especially the boys) love them and actually read them!

    Thanks so much for linking up! (great job from Blogsy!)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys love reading graphic novels, even if they are really above their levels they can't put them down!

    ReplyDelete