Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday Snapshots from vacation

Another first this this week - I've never linked up with  Run! Miss Nelson's Got the Camera for


Edition

My husband and I have had a great time being tourists in Northern California. Unfortunately the majority of the pictures are trapped on our camera right now but I did take a few on my phone that I can share.

We started our trip in San Francisco last Saturday. We wandered around Fisherman's Wharf and I ate some chowder in a bread bowl. I went to Alcatraz on Sunday morning while my husband got a couple of work things done. We went to a show called "Beach Blanket Babylon" that night. Monday we went out to Muir Woods and Sausalito. That afternoon we also hung out at America's Cup Park watching some fun videos and going through the really well done exhibit "flying on the water." Tuesday we went out on a sailboat the see some racing. That was a bit of a let down because there was only one boat running the course because the other one was out of commission for repair. In the late afternoon we rode around on the hop on hop off bus with a stop at Haight Ashbury. Wednesday we rode the bus some more and spent time at Golden Gate Park going in the Japanese garden and the Conservatory of Flowers (which was having a special butterfly exhibit). I also went to the maritime museum on the pier with tons of old unique boats that once were used in the bay. That night we did a sunset catamaran under the Golden Gate Bridge. We headed out of town on Thursday morning.
















When we left San Francisco we headed down the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1). We stopped for lunch in Santa Cruz and then arrived in Monterey. I went out kayaking just behind our hotel and paddled along cannery row up to the aquarium. There was a raft of 12 otters just off of the aquarium which was very cool as well as a few pairs of seals and a bunch if sea birds. Unfortunately I totally didn't think of bringing a camera. The next morning we drove down Hwy 1 to Big Sur and then stopped at a place with a great view for lunch. I had so much fun kayaking the day before that I convinced my husband to go and we brought a camera. This time there was a raft of almost 30 otters as well as seals and otters scattered in other spots. That night we walked around Cannery Row and checked out all the motorcycles since the Red Bull Grand Prix had started that day. We went into the races today. My husband is a big MotoGP fan. Last year we planned a trip around coming to the races this time it just worked out that it fell during the only time we could come. As luck would have it we are actually staying in the same room we did last year which I loved because you can see otters and tons of birds just outside our window.












We have been really enjoying ourselves on the trip. Tonight they have Cannery Row closed off to cars and it will be wall to wall motorcycles. It was totally crazy last year. We go to the final day of racing tomorrow and then Monday we head back up to the San Fran airport to fly home.



10 comments:

  1. Your vacation pics are so wonderful. I love that area. Wonderful weather. Now I'm wanting to plan a vacation.
    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go there! Thank you for sharing your pictures!!!!
    ~Amy
    The Teacher Next Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fantastic trip! I love San Francisco. Alcatraz is one of my favorite places...at night it is so spooky! So adventurous, you've given me something to aim for next year:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw they had evening tours which I bet are really neat. I didn't plan ahead well so I feel lucky that I got the one empty spot that I did.

      Delete
  4. Aren't Muir Woods and Sausalito gorgeous? My parents live in Monterey County and I got to work in Carmel one summer while I was out there. I'm spoiled. I live five minutes from the Gulf of Mexico in the Panhandle and get to vacation in Monterey County on my breaks! Looks like you've been to Laguna Seca. Love it! Glad you are having a great time!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your phone takes excellent pictures! I'm glad you had such a nice trip.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Francisco and Monterey are on my places to visit someday list. I LOVE the beautiful pictures. Looks like you had an amazing vacation!

    Krista
    Stellar-Students

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are having an amazing time! I love the bike!! I'm a new follower :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an AMAZING vacation! I'm your newest follower - a fellow fourth grade teacher :)

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, I LOVED meeting and hanging out with you at the Carolina Bloggers Meetup! I am excited to following along with you this school year.

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete