Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reading Roundup

It's always nice to reflect about the books in my big stack. Must of the kid books are an actual stack but the professional books mostly collect on my Kindle until I make time to read them. I actually expected to get more reading done over vacation but I did get in a couple of good one :-)
If you would like to join in click here.

Professional book

I have a huge backlog of books but I think next note list is going to be Conferring: the Keystone to Reader's Workshop. I really need to work on my conferring skills. I feel like I say the same thing when I talk to students and I need to make it more meaningful.

Personal book

I always enjoy a good Nicholas Sparks book. Of course my husband always says ones that make me cry that hard can't be enjoyable. I'm a few behind and I would like to read, Safe Haven, since it will be coming out as a movie in February. It was on sale for the Kindle for only $3.99.

Book to teach a skill

A book I just ordered that should arrive tomorrow is "Did It All Start with a Snowball Fight?: And Other Questions About The American Revolution." It isn't really a skill but a content area. In reading we are about to start reading some historical fiction novels that go along with American Revolution. I don't teach social studies but we are trying really hard this year to tie our reading in more closely with out content area. It sounded inline the question answer format would be entertaining for the kids.
I look forward to seeing what some others are sharing.



6 comments:

  1. I need to work on conferring too. I saw Patrick Allen speak at the All-Write Institute in Indiana last summer. He had some useful advice so that should be a great book. Nicholas Sparks makes me cry too. I need to be in the right mood to read his books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up, Heather! I think I sound like a broken record after a few conferences. I need to get the book, too.
    Mary at Pitner's Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading historical fiction. It's a great way to tie things in to what we're studying in history. I've also found that the boys really seem to enjoy this genre.

    Farrah
    ThinkShareTeach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like our historical fiction this year has been much more geared towards the boys. Luckily I haven't had any girl complain yet.

      Delete
  4. I've never read a Nicholas Sparks book. But if they make one cry, I think I shouldn't! I don't like reading about depressing things. I'm for sure one of those happily ever after endings lover/sucker. Ah well.

    Writing Conferences are for sure something I need to get better at. Thanks for the good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read both Conferring and Safe Haven and since I love both, we must have similar taste in books so I should probably read your third book too! I'm your newest follower! ;) Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete