Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm feeling crafty


I loved Tara’s READ letters last week so went on a mission to get some letters of my own. I went to Hobby Lobby and two Michael’s stores and they didn’t have D in any of them. I have no idea why, but I got the other three letters at Hobby Lobby and started on my project anyway. My husband said “Wouldn’t it be easier to pull everything out and do it once with all the letters?” To which I replied “Of course it would be but I’m impatient.”
I did my letters with sheets of scrapbook paper, my Silhouette CAMEO, card stock, pages torn out of an old book, craft paint, and Mod Podge. I also have some ribbon that I will add later when I figure out the height needed.
I painted the back and sides a light teal since I plan to hang them on my window. I traced the letters on the scrapbook paper and cut them out. I used Mod Podge to affix the paper to the letters. In hid sight I would use glue next time and just use the Mod Podge for the top. I played around with the size for my sea creatures (that I purchased at the Silhouette store) and cut them out of blue card stock and then in a slightly smaller version out of pages from a book. When I added them on with Mod Podge I felt like it still needed some more decoration so I cut some smaller fish in different colors to add on. I did make the extra book/paper creature (which is a large fish) as well as the extra small fish so making the other letter won’t be a big deal once I can actually track one down.


The other project that I did this week was create calendar pieces and headers for my ocean theme. I played around with a bunch of variations but finally put this collection together. I used some new electronic scrapbook paper for the backgrounds and then added the Scrappin Doodles divers to most of the headers along with a different things for them to check out each month. I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out but I want to laminate them before cutting out all the numbers.

Last week I also attended two Days of Learning from the comfort of my own home. One was all about iPads and the other was a mix of various techie things. If you haven’t ever checked out Simple K12’s training options you should definitely drop by there. All you have to do is join as a free member and you can watch all kinds of free live webinars. If you join as a fill member then you can watch the archives and lots of other perks. Right now I’m just a free member and it’s been great. As a matter of fact there are a BUNCH of sessions Monday-Thursday this week.


Thanks for dropping by

13 comments:

  1. I love love love your letters!! This linky party is going to keep me so busy this summer. I keep seeing great ideas that I just HAVEEEE to make :)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your letters! I would have done the same thing....and I'm pretty sure my husband would have said the same thing. I am way impatient when it comes to seeing out what I envision in my head ;) Thank you for sharing the link for the webinars, I will definitely check it out!
    The Sweet Life of Third Grade - We're having a SWEET giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your theme is adorable and letters turned out to cute! Too funny about the D.....what the heck is everyone spelling that takes up all the D's....this is the second time I have heard someone say that the Ds were gone. Thanks for linking up:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I made these too! I like your theme :)

    Haley
    Following Optimism in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and think I will make some for my room :)

    Sarah
    Teaching Star Students

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute! I have to go find me some letter :)

    Amy
    The Resource(ful) Room

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your letters they came out great!!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your letters! Hope you get your "D " soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The letters look great. The calendar items turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your letters are super cute! Thanks for sharing that idea! I'm your new follower, by the way! Come visit me sometime!
    Ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I am also going to check out Simple K-12. Sounds interesting...

    ✰Becca
    Fun is Found in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  12. your page is awesome...im your newest follower..drop by =)


    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete